"It's all about the story."
Composer & Lyricist for Stage & Screen
Sydney based composer and lyricist Maria Alfonsine provides an intriguing place for her audience to escape across genres such as jazz, folk-pop, film music, musical theatre and experimental contemporary styles. Her starting-point and focus is always; "It's all about the story", no matter what medium or style she is working in. By turns playful and reflective, she finds inspiration in everyday life, the inequalities of the world and the force of nature, and through her art she wishes to communicate awareness, insight and courage. She constantly falls in love with different kinds of instruments and fragments of sounds. When not working with traditional instruments, she uses voice and body sounds to create organic soundscapes full of observations. Whatever the story needs.
- Best Composer - Veov Drive (Vittoria Merlino Dentice) - Sydney Film School 2016 - sponsored by the Australian Guild of Screen Composers
- Best Composer - To The Top (Fiona Gillman) with Zac Threadgold - Sydney Film School 2015 - sponsored by the Australian Guild of Screen Composers
- Finalist - Sydney Brass Festival - Sydney 2013
- Highly Commended - Carillon Society of Australia and Wesley Music Foundation - Canberra 2013
- University Scholarship - The Australian Institute of Music - Sydney 2013-2015
- Bachelor of Music - Majoring in Composition and Music Production - The Australian Institute of Music - Sydney, Australia 2013-2015 (Teachers include Drew Crawford, Caitlin Yeo, Anton Koch, Phillip Johnston and Simone East)
- Internship - Film, Musical Theatre and Jazz Composer: Phillip Johnston - Sydney 2014
- Music Drama Course - Acting/Theatre Production/Pedagogue - Wendelsberg's Theatre School - Mölnlycke, Sweden 2010-2012
- Music Course - Singer/Songwriter - Ingesund's Folk High School - Arvika, Sweden 2009-2010
- Instrumental studies; piano, clarinet and vocal - Tranemo Music School - Sweden 1992-2002
For more information, full résumé and certificates please contact Maria Alfonsine.
Photos taken by Michael Chow in my favorite Sydney café, Ampersand Cafe & Bookstore.